Thursday, November 6, 2008

Faithfulness

God will change your heart when you ask. Tuesday Seth has school and I "do stuff". This Tuesday my routine was off from the start. Being election day and all... Andy takes Seth to school and has done a wonderful job getting him up in the morning, dressed, and ready to go. But in order to give Andy time to go vote I did all this this morning, confusing not only Seth, but myself as well. After they left I went to vote myself and then headed up to my former campus to mentor, arriving early. After mentoring I went to watch my good friends two boys so she could go vote. I had a break for lunch, forgot to get my allergy shot, and went to pick Seth up, heading to Nana's house where I was leaving Seth to go do my once a month tutoring. As I was driving to get there I realized I really did not want to go. I felt tired and like I'd already done so much this day. I was frustrated I'd missed my shot and had my mind on tomorrow. As I turned on the road that the complex was on I realized that I wouldn't be able to do this feeling the way I was. So I asked. I basically said, "God please help me want to do this and make it work out." He truly truly did! I worked with a very neat kid, helping him with his homework, spelling words, and some phonics work. I had so much fun! We laughed and talked. He worked SO hard and was so appreciative! When it was time to go, neither of us wanted to, his Mom had come down twice to see if he was finished. I really felt useful, like this is why God made me a teacher. God answered my prayer. Thanks Lord!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I had some similar thoughts today... "Please help me not to be so impatient with my son!" After sending this silent prayer, I remembered my last year teaching with a difficult student. (You know the one.) I had miraculously gotten to the point of numbness with his antics and could calmly (MOST of the time) repeat myself blue or redirect him, etc without losing myself to frustration or anger. I did that with my son all day today. Okay, MOST of today, but I really did feel like I was less of a grouch and much more patient with his 3 year old crazies. Thanks, as always, for giving me encouragement by being in the same (kind-of) boat. I love you!